Check it out and download the ‘Lead Manager‘, used by the Ministry of Culture of Brazil (www.cultura.gov.br) . One of the main plugins developed by the ministry web team, that turns wordpress into a portal site manager.
One of the main distinctions between the blog and the portal models is the way to organize and display the posts (or articles). In a blog, the posts are displayed in chronological order, while portals demand a customized lead display model on its home pages and section pages. The current plugin, used at the Brazilian Ministry of Culture portal (www.cultura.gov.br) allows the management of leads in many different website areas / sections. It is possible to order the posts in a flexible and dynamic way, providing extra visibility to the website’s features. Below, some of the ‘Lead Manager’ managing features:
- Drag and drop lead ordering (through jquery);
- Creation of new lead pages / sections (of one or more categories);
- Selection of the number of leads to each section;
- Selection of user privileges on each lead page;
- Optional alternative ‘titles’, ‘leads’ and ‘links’ for each post;
- Selection of the leading period for each post.
Instalation and Use
Extract the file ‘lead-manager.zip’ in the Wordpress plugins folder (wp-content/plugins/); then, activate the plugin on the managing panel.
After installing the plugin, a new item (Capas / Leads) will be added to the menu.
This new item will present the following managing options: Capas, Áreas e Usuários.
Managing Lead “Áreas”
‘Areas’ are the lead’s categories. The lead manager allows the criation, edition and exclusion of areas.
Here you will be able to include the ‘Area’ name and the maximum quantity of leads (features).
After the creation of the area you must change in your theme the following tags (only where you will use the lead(s)):
- from have_posts() to $covers->have_posts(area[, max]), where ‘area’ is the ID of the area from where you want to push the lead(s), and ‘max’ (optional) is the quantity of leads you want to push;
- from the_post() to $covers->the_post();
- from the_title() to $covers->the_title();
- from the_excerpt() to $covers->the_excerpt();
- from the_permalink() to $covers->the_permalink().
In case you want to use images on the leads you should add the tag $covers->the_thumb([size[, add]]), where ’size’ refers to the image according to Wordpress standards (medium or thumbnail) and ‘add’ are adittions that can be inserted on the image’s tag.
Managing ‘Users’ per ‘Área’
In this option you may chose a user through the filter…
and select which areas he will be able to access and include leads.
Generating new “Leads”
There are 2 ways of adding leads.
The first is in the post’s first edition / publishing.
The second is in the ‘Lead’ managing interface, where you just have to inform the post ID that will feature as a lead, following the ordering procedure.
In this option there is the possibility to order the leads only by moving the items (by drag and drop), which facilitates the process to the user.
We will be soon publishing a English version of the interface, and also publishing a video tutorial to further facilitate the installation and use of the ‘Lead Manager’.